The last week has been busy…
Members have been involved in NYSF activities, including the Session C dinner for members, guests and NYSF students, home-hosting very thankful (and tired) students and preparing for more mock interviews. Feedback from Session A interviews was that students found it a very worthwhile experience, particularly as many students had never experienced a job interview.
Queries/cancellations for NYSF: Adam de Totth, Chairman, NYSF Committee email@example.com or phone on 6288 1441.
Last week we published a photo of our Club’s 2010 Ambassadorial Scholar, Michelle Jester and unfortunately stated that the nice man with her was her boyfriend, Jino. However, Jino is Michelle’s brother.
Club Social Night – Monday 3 February – Thai Herb Gungahlin, 6.30 for 7pm
This will be a great social night for members and guests. Please advise Liz of numbers. Banquet $25 or $30pp and al la Carte choices. BYO.
Rotary District Birthday Bash Sunday 23 February
Our District Governor, Maureen Manning, extends an invitation to members and guests to the much-anticipated birthday celebration (flyer attached).
Rotary International Peace Fellows Canberra Visit
You may recall that we have for some years now been honoured by the visit of the Peace Fellows who are undertaking the Masters in International Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution at the Rotary Centre at UQ in Brisbane.
The visit of the Class of 2013-2014 (approximately 10 fellows) has now been scheduled for 3-6 May 2014. They will follow a program of professional, academic and cultural visits that aims to introduce them to Canberra and some key actors in the peace and conflict resolution.
The ACT Convenor, Garth Britton, has contacted clubs for three reasons:
- To note these dates and put them in Club calendars, also asking people to note the date of the formal dinner, Monday May 5, at which the Peace Fellows will describe their work and talk about their plans. This has been a very successful and inspiring event in past years
- To ask if any members would be willing to act as Home Hosts for one or two of the Fellows during this visit. This involves providing accommodation for the nights of 3, 4 and 5 May. In addition, subject to finalisation, it would involve meeting their guests for dinner on the evening of Saturday 3 May, transport to a central point on the mornings of 4, 5 and 6 May, transport from a central point on the evening of 4 May and to and from the formal dinner on 5 May, and provide a simple dinner at home with their guests on Sunday 4 May.
- To ask if any members, if not able to provide accommodation, might be interested in assisting with transport or other arrangements on these dates.
This is a wonderful opportunity to meet some very interesting and inspiring young people who are participating in a key Rotary program. Rotarians who are interested in helping in either of these ways should email the Convenor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Important Rotary Dates for Next Year!
Members are reminded to register early for these great opportunities;
- District Assembly, Bega (3-4 May 2014)
- Rotary Peace Scholars visit Canberra (preliminary date 3-6 May 2014)
- Annual Rotary International Conference in Sydney (1-4 June 2014).