On Monday 28th April we will meet in the Soccer Club Boardroom for our Club Assembly/Board Meeting. Members are reminded to look at their current responsibilities and consider whether they want to change or swap roles. Please advise if you are unable to attend.
Last Monday there was no meeting due to the Public Holiday.
India Beats the Odds, Beats Polio …
The May edition of Rotary Downunder brought us the news from Rotary International General Secretary, John Hewko, that “India beats the odds, beats polio”. This story was recently aired on CNN and gave Rotary significant coverage. CNN International has 200 million subscribers around the world. The feature story was also selected to be posted on CNN’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/cnn, 10 million fans) and to CNN’s Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/cnn,12 million followers). Rotary’s general and “End Polio Now” Facebook and Twitter feeds have also re-posted and shared.
Both the video and the online feature showcase Rotary and National PolioPlus Chair,Deepak Kapur, who was interviewed.
Rotary International is credited as “the organisation that led the effort to rid India of polio”, which the video calls “one of the biggest global health achievements of recent times, and a triumph for India’s government and partners that fought the disease”.
You can see and hear the feature and read the full text at: http://cnn.it/Q0Tjxh
Saturday 3rd May the Rotary Club of Ginninderra also extends and invitation to their Trivia Night to raise funds for the eradication of Polio.
- 7pm, West Belconnen Leagues Club, Hardwick Cres, Holt.
- Donation of $15pp covers your contribution to the Rotary Polio Fund.
- Food & drinks available from the bistro and bar.
RSVP as an individual or team (up to 10) by COB Thursday, 24 April 2014 to Bill Wattam firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Allan Black – email@example.com.
Other Important Rotary Dates
Members are reminded to register early for these great opportunities
- District Assembly, Bega (3-4 May 2014)
- Rotary Peace Scholars visit Canberra (3-6 May 2014, formal dinner 5 May) Rotarians who are interested in helping should email the Convener: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Annual Rotary International Conference in Sydney (1-4 June 2014)